Daffodils and hope


I've always loved daffodils. They are usually the first flowers we see in our gardens in the spring. They appear "almost like magic" pushing up through the warming soil, green sprouts that grow rapidly from the hidden bulbs and then burst into bloom. I love the deep, dark yellow variety - such a vibrant and hopeful color.
Daffodils are considered by many to be a symbol of hope. They remind us that the winter didn't last forever; that good things are ahead. They show great resilience: though the bulbs go dormant, they don't die or give up - they wait until the time is right, and then once again demonstrate to the world that they have overcome the obstacles to produce something beautiful.
It was during the springtime, half a lifetime ago, that I was undergoing treatment for cancer. That was when I learned about the American Cancer Society using the daffodil as its symbol of hope - as an organization, hope for cures for cancer to be developed; but as individuals, hope for surviving the challenge and returning to a life of joy and beauty. Now, each spring when I see the beautiful flowers, I remember those feelings of overcoming and starting anew, and I feel the joy of the good things to come.
And so I #GiveThanks for God's wonderful creations in this world, and for the lessons we can learn from them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift