Food assistance in Paraguay


I love when we get to see some of the impact of our current assignment as humanitarian missionaries. Recently we coordinated a donation to a "soup kitchen" facility in Paraguay. They provide meals each day to over a hundred children and elderly. Their facility was broken into and all the kitchen equipment was stolen by drug addicts looking for things to sell. We were able to help re-equip their kitchen and provide food supplies to get them restarted. They sent us these photos of people who are benefiting from the daily meals. The sweet boy was overcome at having real food.
I am sobered by the reminders of how much need there is in the world. It's sad to realize how many people struggle to even have the very basic daily sustenance - more now than ever with the pandemic and so many out of work. I don't think I've ever been in the position in my life when I was completely without food or struggled to have enough to care for my family. How blessed I am!
One of our popular modern hymns gives this reminder:
Because I have been given much,
I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty Lord,
Each day I live;
I shall divide my gifts from thee
With every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.
I #GiveThanks for my own abundance, for the chance to share with others through the LDS Charities foundation, and for the privilege of serving as a missionary to help facilitate those donations to those in great need.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napping in public

Nature's secret maps

Every Day is a Gift