The Samoan Connection

 


This photo is from a family reunion a few years ago. All of the people in the photo are my cousins (2nd, 3rd, 4th, most removed a generation or two). Alert observers will find Bonnie and me sitting on the left. Alert observers will also notice that Bonnie and I are quite a bit more "pale" than the rest of the people in the picture! Most have Samoan blood with some Hawaiian added in. They are my aiga, my ohana, my family. But I am pure Caucasian.

My great grandfather was named David Kenison. We believe he was born in eastern Canada in 1836 and was a seaman. He married in New Zealand, and ended up in Samoa. He and Ann Elizabeth had 13 children over the course of 25 years, many of whom didn't live to be adults. The three older sons, however, married Samoan women and put down roots in the islands; their descendants are the people in the photo. My grandfather Thomas and some others of the younger children came to Utah with their father in 1899 (after he had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), and eventually were married here. So there are two "branches" of David Kenison's descendants: the Samoan and the Caucasian.

I feel very privileged and I #GiveThanks to have a connection to the beautiful people of the Pacific islands. It's been a great privilege to discover that connection and get to know many of my cousins over the years. When I was 19, I secretly hoped I would be called on a mission to serve among them; but the Lord wanted me to have other experiences. I look forward to having the chance to visit the islands of Savai'i and Upolo and learn more about my own family history there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napping in public

Nature's secret maps

Every Day is a Gift