"Sing, Choirs of Angels!"

 

"Sing, choirs of angels, Sing in exultation; Sing, all ye citizens of heaven above!"
"And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men." (Luke 2:13-14)
The accounts of the birth of Jesus don't actually say that heavenly choirs of angels were singing when they appeared to the shepherds in the fields. It says "saying," not "singing." But most of us can't read the words they shared without hearing in our minds Handel's arrangement from Messiah. And we often associate singing with the most joyful expression of emotion. That is certainly felt at Christmastime.
I love Christmas music and look forward to enjoying it each year during the weeks leading to Christmas. Many of our most favorite carols and hymns are so familiar, but yet so powerful.
Through the years I've found several lesser-known Christmas songs that are meaningful to me, that I think should have greater exposure. I will share links here, and encourage everyone to listen to them. I would love to hear if any of them are already familiar to you. And, I would love to hear of some other "rare gems" to add to my collection. I'm not asking for your favorite well-known Christmas song; we all have many of those. I am specifically interested in beautiful, less-known songs.
I #GiveThanks for the beautiful Christmas music, and the power it has to move our souls closer to the Babe of Bethlehem!
---------------------------------------
"Jesus Christ the Apple Tree"
Musical setting of an anonymous poem first published in London in 1761. Be sure to click on the "Show More" to follow along with the beautiful lyrics.
"Mary, What You Gonna Name that Pretty Little Baby?"
I was introduced to this beautiful, mostly-unknown Christmas song a few years ago at a concert by a BYU chorus. I haven't found many recordings of it. This page has an audio link at the bottom, and lets you follow along with the sheet music.
"Who is He in Yonder Stall?"
By B.R. Hanby, a 19th-century United Brethren minister in Ohio.
"The Hands That First Held Mary's Child"
We don't have many songs about Joseph, the step-father of Jesus. I love these thoughful lyrics. Text by Thomas Troeger, a Yale Divinity School pastor and professor, in a beautiful arrangement by Dan Forrest.

The following were suggested by friends:

"The Huron Carol: Twas in the Moon of Wintertime"
Probably oldest carol in North America (1642) with roots in French Jesuit and First Nations language and culture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift