Scas: memories, lessons, miracles

 


I have a number of scars on my body, like most people. Many of the scars are hidden by hair or clothing. The largest is over 12" long, from a surgery that opened my entire abdominal cavity, half a lifetime ago. Most of the others are from various accidents or mishaps. Scars result from the body's attempt to heal a wound; after the body does its best to repair some damage, often there is a visible difference in the skin where the problem occurred.

Scars are not always just physical. Sometimes we have other challenges or "accidents" in life - emotional, social, spiritual. Painful circumstances result in deep injuries, that take time to heal. And sometimes when the healing is as complete as it is going to get, we realize that there are scars that remain, ways in which we've been permanently changed, minor pains that linger. These scars are often completely unseen by others.

Christians know about another kind of wound and healing, of forgiveness and redirection that comes through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. When mistakes are made, there is a path for reparation, restitution, and renewal. Forgiveness can be complete; but sometimes there are subtle scars that remain.

One of the benefit of a scar is that it can remind us of the original injury. That may not always be considered a benefit for physical scars that are very visible and influence our appearance; but I think there are ways these lingering signs can be a blessing.

My right thumb is an example of the principle. When I was a very young boy, only 4 or 5 years old, we lived on a farm where my Dad had sheep. Ocasionally a lamb would be born and would lose its mother (by death or by rejection, or inability to provide milk). The lamb would die unless cared for; so we children were tasked with feeding the "bummer lambs" to keep them alive. We used big glass bottles with rubber nipples, filled with milk. On one occasion, I dropped my milk bottle and somehow cut my thumb badly. That was over 55 years ago but the scar is still visible on the inside of my thumb.

I see the scar all the time. It's become symbolic to me of all my other scars. Sometimes when I look at it I think of my other scars, and remember what they represent - the injuries, the surgeries, and in a few instances the MIRACLES of my life. But I also allow it to remind me of my other scars, the non-physical ones. And it makes me #GiveThanks that so many things are in the past, not in the present. I've survived many injuries that are physical and some that are not. Life goes on, and I'm blessed to have the opportunity to live it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift