Not seeing the obvious



Today I returned to a trail that I have hiked many times before. I had an experience similar to many of the previous hikes. As I returned down the trail after summitting, I noticed the remains of a stone structure right alongside the trail. I have no idea what the history of that structure is, what its purpose may have been, how long ago - that all remains a mystery. But I noted again today, as I have many times in the past - I didn't even see the stones and cement on the way up, even though they are right alongside the trail! But they are very obvious to me on the way down every time I hike this trail.

I've pondered this scenario. I think as I'm climbing, my attention naturally focuses on the challenges, opportunities, and scenery that are before me. But then on the return, when I'm not exerting as much, I might be more aware of the surroundings.
Certainly there is a lesson in this. Sometimes we need to turn our perspective around in order to discover new aspects to a situation or a problem. And also, perhaps we need to be cautious about being TOO focused on a single goal or aspect of our life, neglecting other things.
I #GiveThanks for the reminder to open my eyes, and my mind, in every way possible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napping in public

The bombing of Pforzheim

Life Accelerated