Calm in the storm

 

Seven years ago this week, Bonnie and I were hiking in Glacier National Park. At one point we took a short boat shuttle ride across a lake that connected to a hiking trail. As the boat was approaching the far bank, we saw a large mother bear and her cub along the shoreline. They seemed to notice us, and disappeared into the woods near the trailhead.
As we got off the boat to start hiking, we were more alert than usual, and I had my can of "bear spray" (a pepper-based deterrent that is usually effective) close at hand. Shortly after we started the hike, we heard a noise near the trail, and then suddenly saw our "mama bear" rise up on her hind legs in the trees about 10 yards away, staring at us for several moments before dropping back down and moving away. With camera in one hand and bear spray in the other, I quickly and instinctively snapped one of the most memorable photos of my life.
I recall being more startled than frightened at the moment this occurred. I know mother animals can be terribly protective of their young, and she seemed to be checking us out to see if we were a threat. But I really felt this was just a vigilant posture to help her avoid further contact with us. And besides, I had that can of bear spray!
I've had a few experiences in my life when I thought, "That could have turned out badly!" - but it didn't. Sometimes I didn't realize it at the moment, but in later reflection was able to see the danger or risk that I was exposed to.
The ability to be "calm in the midst of a storm" is sometimes a great blessing to us. It can come when we're oblivious to the storm - not aware of the full impact, the risk or danger presented by a situation. It can also come when we are fully aware of the challenge but confident in our ability to handle it, or in the abilities of others we depend on for help and strength.
There are many kinds of storms in life. There are dangers, challenges, threats, heartbreaks, and difficulties that come to us all. Sometimes we are overwhelmed or even terrified; but we can also learn that we have greater abilities than we think to survive the storm. And we can learn that there are resources all around us to help us get through.
I #GiveThanks for the challenges I've survived in my life, that didn't turn out as badly as they might have. I'm grateful to have learned many thing about my own abilities. And I'm especially grateful to know that there are sources of help and strength around me, and above me, to provide aid when I need it most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napping in public

Nature's secret maps

Lessons from history: Sioux Indians