Buzz Holstrom


On our recent river trip through Cataract Canyon, we were introduced to the story of Buzz Holmstrom. In 1937 he achieved a remarkable feat - in a wooden boat he had built himself in his mother's basement for $20, he started alone in Green River Wyoming, and journeyed down the Green River to where it joins the Colorado River in southern Utah, then on through Cataract Canyon, Glen Canyon (Lake Powell didn't exist yet), and the full length of the Grand Canyon, ending up Lake Mead. He made the 1,100 mile trip all by himself in 52 days.
Having recently experienced the power and majesty of the rapids in Cataract Canyon, in a modern customized rubber raft, I am in awe of the feat. And to do it alone, in unknown and undocumented territory, as a relatively inexperienced river runner!
Newspapers and magazines around the country reported on the achievement, and Holstrom became instantly famous. But he despised the attention and remained humble and introspective about the achievement. In 1937 he wrote the following:
"The River & Canyons have been kind to me – I think my greatest danger is ahead – that I might get swellheaded over this thing – I am going to try to keep my mouth shut about it – go back to work in the old way & have it only for a memory for myself – I have done no one any good & caused a few people great worry & suffering I know.
"I think this river is not treacherous as has been said – every rapid speaks plainly just what it is and what it will do to a person and a boat in its currents waves, boils, whirlpools, and rocks – if only one will read and listen carefully. It demands respect and will punish those who do not treat it properly. Some places it says 'go here safely if you do it just this way' and in others it says 'do not go here at all with the type of boat you have.' ...but many people will not believe what it says.
"Some people have said 'I conquered the Colorado River' – I don’t say so. It has never been conquered and never will I think. Anyone who it allows to go through its canyons and see its wonders should feel thankful and privileged...
"I know I have gotten more out of this trip by being alone than if a party was along as I have more time, especially at night, to listen and look and think and wonder about the natural wonders, rather than listen to talk of war politics and football scores. The River probably thought – he is such a lonesome ignorant unimportant and insignificant pitiful little creature – with such a short time to live that I will let him go this time and try to teach him something. It has not been so kind to many prouder people than I."


It was an epic achievement - and can no longer be equaled since large portions of the river system are now under the water of reservoirs. I #GiveThanks for someone with the courage to undertake such an epic adventure, totally for the sake of the adventure - and not for fame and recognition, I admire that spirit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napping in public

Nature's secret maps

Lessons from history: Sioux Indians