A new perspective

 

The first attached photo is how I often take pictures of children. The second is how I should more often do it! See the difference?
My grandchildren are used to me taking photos of them while I'm standing above them, and they usually just ignore me. But when I got down on the ground to take these photos, they asked, "Why are you doing that??" I told them I wanted to see what the world looked like down on their level!
Children live on a different "plane" of existence from adults, physically and in other ways. The world often looks a whole lot different from 2 feet than it does from 6 feet! And of course, the world looks very different from the mental and emotional perspective of a 2-year-old than from a 16-year-old, and certainly from a 64-year-old.
It's healthy and helpful for us, now and then, to "change levels" - to try to see things through the eyes of children or teens, or someone from a different culture or background than we have. We learn a lot about the world when we do that, and a lot about ourselves.
Some examples of trying to change perspective:
"How does it feel to be from a different culture or country surrounded by people who have very different backgrounds?"
"What’s it like to be a different race or skin color than most of the people around me?"
"How does it feel to have strong beliefs in politics, religion, or a social issue that are dramatically different from most of my acquaintances?"
And of course -
"What's it like to be a little person in a world created by and for big people?"
I #GiveThanks for the privilege of changing my perspective now and then, and for the things I learn when I do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift