Little League baseball

 

I played Little League baseball for a year when I was young. It was not one if the best experiences of my childhood. I wasn't very good - I was kind of a "late bloomer" when it came to any athletic ability. I didn't know much about baseball - I didn't have a Dad or an older brother to teach me and practice with me, and the coach seemed more interested in helping the kids who showed some potential. So I mostly sat on the bench or was sent out in right field where few balls went.
I remember being at bat and being terrified that I might be hit by a pitch - the ball was moving so fast that I knew I had no time to react (you know how hard 12-year-old pitchers can throw, right? :)). One of my proudest moments was when I actually got on base (due to a walk). I think a pop fly by the next batter ended the inning, along with my chance for the hoped-for glory of actually scoring a run.
Tonight I watched my 6-year-old grandson play baseball. How different it felt from my Little League memories! When he played last year, they did T-ball, where the players hit from a tee holding the ball right in front of them. This year it was "coach pitch" with the coach from their own team softly lobbing balls in to them, and giving them advice and encouragement. On defense, they spread the team around the infield, and practiced where to throw the ball after a hit, etc. - but each hitter got to stay on base whether he was "out" or not. So it was positive reinforcement on offense, and elementary skills development on defense.
I love this kind of introduction to a sport, with a gradual increase of skills and competitive aspects. The youth with more aptitude and interest will naturally continue to more aggressive settings as they get older. How I would have loved this in my youth! It's the kind of "line upon line" method of growth and progress, in a group setting but customized and individualized. And with appropriate instruction and training along the way.
I #GiveThanks that we're more conscientious and aware of individuals these days. Especially in the tender, formative ages, we're learning that it's not just about scoring the most runs or points. More broadly, I appreciate the chances to learn and progress based on where *I* am in my development. I like being give the chance to run as fast as *I* am able (or to hike, or to read, or to serve, or to learn). We all are in this "game" to do our own best, regardless of the skills and proficiency of others; and hopefully to find ways to continue to grow and improve as we move forward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift