Deflating balloons and aging

 


Recently there was a little party at our house. Leftover helium-filled balloons have been hugging the ceiling in the basement ever since. But as balloons are wont to do, they are gradually fading in their levitation skills. It's kind of eerie when they start idly drifting around the rooms, moving extremely slowly in the air currents, just about eye-level as you are seated. Eventually they give up altogether and end up as playthings on the ground for the littluns.
Seems to me like a representation of life. We start out "flying high" in our youth and go on for a considerable time. But now in middle-age, there are days when I feel more like I'm idly drifting around, just being pushed by the drafts and winds. I may feel an occasional boost and float back up - but it seems inevitable that before long I'll end up down there on the ground with the rest of the "expired" balloons.
Is that true?? Nope, I don't think so. Physically perhaps - our bodies tend to dimish in the capability to "hold up" as time goes by. Some people do better than others, just as some balloons hold up longer; and how we care for our bodies can help keep them as "flight-worthy" as possible. But in other ways - emotionally, intellectually, spiritually - we may have even more control over what our current level is, and we can stay stronger longer - even continue to strengthen well into the "twilight years."
Maybe the analogy isn't perfect. Balloons start to sink when the helium inside is depleted - not concentrated enough ot support the weight of the balloon. Humans, however, are usually accused of being full of more hot air as they age (or other vapors!). 🙂
I do #GiveThanks that I have some control over the deflating process in my advancing life! I am trying to find ways to work on all those facets - physical, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual. They each need attention to help them (and me) stay afloat!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift