Sunbeams

 


This billboard cracks me up each time I see it on I-15 near my home. A local solar compay thought it might attract attention, and it apparently worked for me. I thought it was a Utah-specific reference, but Wikipedia informs me that "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" is an old Christian children's hymn in the public domain, dating to at least 1905.
But I have to #GiveThanks for not just clever advertising, but also for the sunbeam itself. The delicate balance of sunlight striking our planet facilitates life as we know it. It's a trill to see what the sun does to my peaches and my garden vegetables, bringing life and nutrients with their warming rays. Those sunbeams, the literal ones, are remarkable things.
As we've seen suggestions of global warming impacting that delicate balance of light and warmth, we quickly realize how crucial the equilibrium is - we can very easily pass above or below the threshold in which life is comfortably sustained. I appreciate the awareness of how humanity collectively can impact the environment of our planet. It gives incentives on how we individually should continue to make careful and wise decisions.
And, I appreciate the sunbeam analogy of my childhood:
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam,
To shine for Him each day;
In every way try to please Him,
At home, at school, at play.
Refrain:
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam;
A sunbeam, a sunbeam,
I'll be a sunbeam for Him.
Jesus wants me to be loving,
And kind to all I see;
Showing how pleasant and happy
His little one can be.
(Refrain)
I will ask Jesus to help me
To keep my heart from sin,
Ever reflecting His goodness,
And always shine for Him.
(Refrain)
I'll be a sunbeam for Jesus;
I can if I but try;
Serving Him moment by moment,
Then live with Him on high.
(Refrain)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift