Seeking the shade

 

While hiking this past week, I noticed how much we appreciated the shade. The temperatures reached the upper 80s on some days, and some of the trails were pretty dry and exposed. I watched Bonnie slow down (often not consciously) when there was a shady stretch. We would always Wait for shade, to stop for breaks under trees. They provided a welcome respite.
Interestingly, I have noticed the same behavior in my hiking buddy, Inca. With her thick black coat, she probably feels the heat even more than we do. I often see her run up a bit ahead along the trail, and then wait for me to catch up under some bushes or a dense tree.
I've been grateful at times in my life to be symbolically in the shade instead of in the sun. We need respites from the pressures of life. We need breaks in the intensity. We need rest and recreation to help us have strength for the challenging demands we often have to face.
I #GiveThanks for the chance to seek the shade in the midst of our sunny journeys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift