Growth and peace from trials


The picture of my foot that accompanies this post was taken a few years ago, just after I finished a hike along the Uintah Highline Trail in northern Utah. The hike with my nephew
Richard DeLong
covered almost 70 miles in 4 days, with thousands of feet of vertical up and down through the High Uintah wilderness. It is spectacular, breathtaking country; but carrying a 30-pound pack through that kind of terrain is not as easy for a man in his 60s as it was when I was in my teens or 20s. And to boot, I had a case of esophagitis the second half that drained me.
But the sentiment attached to the photo is real and sincere. There is a wholesomeness, a refreshing that comes in strenuous activity that is a special reward. Maybe it's a "hiker's high" or a "Rocky Mountain High" - but it's very real to me.
Sometimes it's in the times of great duress that we feel the greatest peace, the greatest progress, the greatest growth. When we've been pushed to our limit, we sometimes find that our limit is further than we thought it was giong to be. I #GiveThanks for those times when I've learned and grown in spite of, because of, my challenges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift