Sunrise and creation


On a recent early morning hike, I watched the sky light up with fire as the earth slowly turned, allowing the sun to appear over the mountains. There are often just a few minutes when things seem to explode with energy. In the far distance on the left, rays of light strike the summit of Mt. Nebo, the highest point in the Wasatch Range. To the right on the shores of Utah Lake is lonely West Mountain, a stand-alone peak that was the site of my boyhood home.
The Bible says,
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth....
"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
"And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness."
I wonder. Did God think, "Hmm. I should make sunlight out of a spectrum of light waves of different lengths, and then when the light has to pass through earth atmosphere at a low angle at the start or end of the day, I'll make it so that the shorter wavelengths of green, blue, and violet light get dispersed so that only the red, orange, and yellow light appear and get reflected off the moisture in the clouds, which I shall optimize for that purpose, so that there will be beautiful sunrises and sunsets to delight the humans I shall place there to enjoy it. They might need the extra cheering at the beginning and ending of each day."
If I were making an earth, I would think that. Then I might think, "How could I make it do that at noontime once in a while, just to give a mid-day boost?" 😉
I #GiveThanks for the endless wonder of this creation. It brings me joy in so many ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift