Food, rich and varied


My diet in my youth was relatively simple. My four sisters and I were raised by a very busy single mother. We didn't go out to eat very often in those days, and there weren't many exciting options in little Payson anyway. I remember a few times going to a Chinese restaurant in Provo - was it called the "Four Seasons"? I always ordered relatively simple and safe ham-fried rice as my main entree.
We did occasionally eat German food, especially when my grandmother came to visit. She was an expert cook and loved to fix recipes from her homeland. That was always a treat, and felt a little exotic.
I guess my horizons started to expand during my missionary service in Brazil. I was introduced to many foods that were VERY different from what I was used to, including a variety of South American and Italian fare. Those international interests grew as I traveled throughout Europe a year after my mission. And my mother did, in the end, help to encourage both my love of exploring and my love of good food.
Those loves have continued to grow through the years. One of the things that most fascinates Bonnie and me is to discover ethnic fare at new restaurants, including countries or flavors we are totally unfamiliar with.
Tonight as we enjoyed some excellent Ramen at a new restaurant in Orem, I considered how far I've come. This was nothing like the 10 for a dollar packages of ramen noodles that helped get me through college. This was authentic Japanese soup, wheat noodles in a flavorful broth with many tasty vegetables and other seasonings.
I #GiveThanks for expanded horizons, and for the marvelous blessing of incredible and varied food. What a tremendous opportunity we have in our day to not just have adequate nourishment, but to be able to experience such a variety of rich and unusual flavors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Napping in public

Nature's secret maps

Every Day is a Gift