The things which matter most

Yesterday I wrote about a spelling error I found in a children's book, and lamented the trend towards laxity in grammar and language. I ended by expressing appreciation for good editors and for my own good education that makes me annoyed at things like misspellings.
I've been thinking about what I wrote since then, and pondering the implications of my message. I think I need to apologize and emphasize a secondary point.
I've known some exceptional people who were pretty lousy writers. That is certainly the case in much of the third world, where perhaps the opportunity for education is lacking. For example, some young US missionaries serving in foreign countries are surprised to learn that they have better spelling and grammar in their new language than many of the native speakers. But yet, many of those local people are successful in their professions, are excellent parents and involved citizens, and are serving effectively and often powerfully. I've even known people in my own country who were quite educated in professional disciplines and very successful, but were terrible writers.
So while I'm very grateful for my own education, I'm also very grateful that there are things much more important than proper grammar and spelling. You don't have to be a good speller to be a good person. You don't have to be a good speller to be successful. You don't have to be a good speller to be kind, decent, moral, or happy.
I love the words of Goethe in the attached graphic, as well as Micah 6:8 and the perspective they provide: "What doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" The way we treat others, and our relationship to the Divine, are far more important than our education level.
Once again, I #GiveThanks for a better perspective that includes understanding and appreciation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift