Trusting in the Master


 

Inca, our 3-year-old "border doodle," is my favorite hiking companion - often my only companion. I've come to appreciate and learn from several aspects of her behavior. Here is one example.
She has enormous energy, and when I let her (when we are not near other hikers), is often running ahead or exploring off-trail. I have trained her to come to my side when she sees other people approaching or when I call her, which is appropriate behavior that gives me confidence in letting her wander a bit.
However, I've noticed that most of the time she likes to keep me in sight. When she's in front she will often turn back to make sure she knows where I am, and wait while I catch up. Coming to a junction or split in the trail, she will pick an option and go about 10 feet, but then sit and wait for me to come and confirm that she has made the right choice, then either joyfully run on ahead or else quickly adjust and join the correct trail. I always love the look in her eyes as she gazes up at me - so trusting, so appreciative for sharing the outdoor experience, but always acknowledging that I am in charge.
It's made me ponder how well I do in following the leaders and guides in my life. Have I identified clearly who they are? Am I eager when it's appropriate to rush on and explore, experiment, enjoy life - but stopping to evaluate regularly and staying in sight of those who might have experience or advice to share? When I face a critical decision, do I start by making the best choice I can, but then seek confirmation before I forge ahead and accept correction when needed? And in particular, are my eyes fixed on my Master in loyalty and trust?
I #GiveThanks for the blessing of not having to explore the paths of life alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's secret maps

Napping in public

Every Day is a Gift